The key to better client communication is to stop talking tech and start talking about your client’s business and goals. During my Talk Human to Me presentation, I shared examples of the strategies that have worked for us at Bright Umbrella:
- Technical strengths are not necessarily business strengths. A client hires you to help with the latter.
- Put yourself in a client’s shoes: when was the last time you made a big purchase without really understanding how it works — like a car?
- Consider every tech talking point through the lens of branding, time savings, cost savings, removing administrative headaches and, of course, ROI.
- Describe tech using metaphors and analogies that are relevant to your client’s business. If she builds houses, explain websites in that context!
- Content management systems (CMSs) are not an IT decision
Communicate Your Value
If we want to be more than “vendors,” it is up to us to connect with our clients; to demonstrate that we are trusted partners who understand their business. Having conversations about tech that your clients can understand will lead to more successful projects and happier clients.
Want more examples of talking tech without alienating clients? Tune in to our podcast series about client-friendly conversations!